The Church Administrator is responsible for:
· Providing office functions and services
· Managing church financial operations with guidance and oversight from the Finance Committee
· Facilitating communication with the public, and among the staff and congregation
· Overseeing use of the building and management of facilities
· Supervising the work of the church sexton and office volunteers
This is a 4/5-time position, averaging 32 hours/week: 35 hours/week, Monday through Friday, from late August to early July (about 45 weeks), and 15 hours/week for the remaining summer weeks, totaling about 1660 hours annually, with some flexibility in scheduled hours. Benefits also include paid holidays and two weeks’ vacation to be taken during the summer months.
Salary and Benefits
Annual salary: $25,700 to 28,280 depending on experience. Benefits include 10% retirement for UUA eligible employees, disability and life insurance, 64% of individual health insurance premiums with the UUA plan.
The majority of the workday is spent working alone in a small office, with frequent interruptions; periodically sharing space and work stations with volunteers.
· Associate’s or higher college degree
· Excellent written and oral communication skills and organizational skills
· Proficiency with MS Office -- Outlook, Word and Excel; QuickBooks or similar bookkeeping package; database software; internet-based tools; security management
· Knowledge of basic bookkeeping practices and fund accounting
· Troubleshooting skills with office machines and computer programs
· Experience in vendor relations, equipment contracts, ordering and maintaining office supplies
· Knowledge of fundamentals of building operations
· Experience in office management in not-for-profit or church organization
· Supervisory experience, some volunteer management experience helpful
· Not currently a participant in this congregation
· Maturity, flexibility, good judgment, and ability to learn
· Skill at managing multiple priorities while maintaining attention to detail
· Ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment with staff and volunteers
· Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriate boundaries
· Strong leadership abilities and initiative
· Respect for UU values and principles
· A sense of humor is always helpful!
Office Management and Communications
· Performs office reception and clerical duties, including but not limited to routing mail, answering phones, receiving the public, copying, filing, correspondence
· Maintains the master calendar of church activities and building use; approves schedule requests.
· With the Membership Coordinator, maintains database of visitors, friends and members; creates reports, lists, mailing labels as needed.
· Supports production of some hardcopy and electronic publications including the order of service: editing, proofreading, copying and assembling. Oversees some routine updates of website content.
· Orders and receives supplies for office and office machines; schedules maintenance of office machines. Communicates purchasing/reimbursement procedures to staff and volunteers.
· Maintains relationships with vendors/contracted services as well as with other staff, members and friends of the congregation, and the public.
· Manages and troubleshoots church computers, internet access and telephones
· Sets up annual budget in QuickBooks, modifying chart of accounts as needed. Posts all income and expense transactions to QuickBooks, tracking income and expenses in relation to the budget.
· Codes and records invoices for payment; prepares checks for signing by the Treasurer. Ensures timely payment and vendor file maintenance. Oversees and reconciles church bank accounts.
· Transmits semi-monthly payroll data to payroll service, posts payroll data to QuickBooks.
· Produces monthly financial statements, noting issues for consideration by Finance Committee and/or Board. Creates ad hoc reports as needed for stewardship, budget process, committees, etc.
· Provides financial information, trend observations, UUA updates, etc. to the budget committee
· Manages pledge database, records payments, produces pledge notices. May prepare bank deposits.
· Processes pledge payments made by credit/debit card. Follows up with bank and/or cardholder to resolve any unsuccessful card transactions.
· Oversees gifts of stock: tracking, following up, posting to donor account
· Supervises Sexton’s work
· With Building and Grounds committee, oversees regular maintenance and special repairs provided by the sexton as well as outside contractors including snowplowing and other service personnel.
· Maintains and ensures congregational awareness of security and fire alarm systems, key management policy, and emergency plans.
· Manages rentals: schedules, negotiates fees (based on board-established policies), prepares contracts, coordinates set-up/clean-up with sexton, provides access and communicates usage information and policies, and tracks payments. Manages annual leases of long-term rentals.
Functions listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for the position. This position is supervised by the Minister.
To apply for this position, please send cover letter and resumé in electronic form to email@example.com. NO CALLS, PLEASE!!